Coach Interview Series: Vanja Lazic!
We have taken the time to sit down with Vanja, one of female waterpolo's best goalkeepers. Check out some of the questions we asked her below:
1. When did you first realize that you could be a career waterpolo player and that you can turn your passion into your day job?
From my first international competition!
I realized right there and then that I want to be professional waterpolo player.
2. Which challenges did you have to overcome to become the player you were & the coach you are?
I have been playing this sport for 10 years, and it was quite demanding, a lot of sacrifice, work and effort. But thanks to regular training, I managed to reach the top and play waterpolo in Spain, which is the best in Europe when it comes to women's waterpolo.
3. What motivates you the most about your profession as a waterpolo player?
Definitely my love for this sport, it motivates me to be better every day.
4. What does your daily routine look like?
I like to get up early, have breakfast and enjoy myself while drinking coffee. Then I go to morning training, followed by lunch with friends, college commitments, rest and other evening training. High octane!
5. Which players are some of the best you played with and/or against?
As a goalkeeper for me the best players from my national team is Jelena Vukovic (now she plays in Orizzonte in Italy); Lara Luka (Hawai university), and Ivana Corovic.
The best players that I played against are Maica Garcia, Barbara Bujka, Ekatarina Prokofeva, Sabrina Van der Slot.
6. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received from a coach?
One of the best tips I received from a coach was that no game is easy, regardless of the opponent, and that we can always learn something from the strongest and the weakest.
7. What, in your opinion, is the biggest challenge for waterpolo players today?
For waterpolo players who play waterpolo as professionals, it's not just a game, it's a way of life. This is because we put a lot of important things (family, friends, party) behind us and just focus on your trainings and games. That's the biggest challenge for waterpolo players.
8. Tell us about your most successful season in waterpolo?
For me I can't choose just one season , because when I played in Serbia, I won a lot of titles with mu club, we were champions for 6 years.
Now I am in Spain, and I am working hard to achieve my best season.
9. Which other sports do you like to follow and do you have any other hobbies?
I also watch tennis, basketball, volleyball.
Beyond that, I am a law student, I have 5 more exams until graduation!
In addition, when I have time I also deal with fashion, design and photo shooting.
10. Your message to Waterpolo Portal readers?
Do what you love, love what you do. It's my message for your followers, and of course they need to follow you and get the best information about waterpolo life.